For some inexplicable reason, you can’t go online or turn on the local news without seeing some bizarre story about creepy clowns menacing the streets (and sewers) of America. But until this all blows over, there’s one ghoulishly grinned clown you won’t be seeing that much of: Ronald McDonald.
The Associated Press reports that McDonald’s announced Tuesday that Ronald — the company’s long-standing mascot — will be keeping a low profile following a rash of eerie clown sightings.
The fast food giant said that it is being “thoughtful in respect to Ronald McDonald’s participation community events” as a result of the “current climate around clown sightings in communities.”
Local and national news stations have covered the clown sightings since late August when children in South Carolina first reported they were approached by clowns trying to entice them into the woods.
For those of you who haven’t been keeping abreast of all the scary clown sightings, here are just a few:
• South Carolina children claim clown tried to wave them into woods
• Law enforcement agencies warn people not to dress as clowns
• Clowns with knives allegedly threatened teens in New York City
• Two Michigan clowns arrested for allegedly terrorizing teens
• New York teen arrested for clown prank
• Trio of clowns holding baseball bats allegedly chase Arizona teens
McDonald’s: Ronald McDonald keeping a lower profile [The Associated Press]
by Ashlee Kieler via Consumerist